Monday, June 8, 2009

Today I learned something about myself after taking an online quiz that tests to see if you're a "good" girlfriend from this site http://www.relationshipheadquarters.com/quiz/are-you-a-good-girlfriend.html. LOL... It all seems so silly, but I went ahead and did it anyway for the purpose of writing this blog. The results came out indicating that although I have a pretty good grasp of my own self-worth, I can be too accommodating when in a relationship. So, I started doing some introspection and evaluated my behaviors in the past.
The analysis holds true to some degree. I generally prefer to avoid conflict and give more in relationships. I have never allowed myself to "complain" thinking it was immature to do. When issues arise, I deal with them as logically and reasonably as I could, never letting my emotions override the contexts. All the time, I thought being that way was part of being a "good" girlfriend. After a while, pent up, unattended emotions always blow up at certain points over trivialities, causing the men to think that I'm overexaggerating and being melodramatic.
So, according to relationship experts, that's not only unhealthy for my esteem but also insalutary to a relationship and how I'm perceived by my partner. Instead of sweeping those emotions under the rug, I should be more candid and learn to verbalize them. Even though I know this is such textbook advice, to actually apply this will require me stepping out of my comfort zone and frankly, a very scary thing to do. Why do I feel this apprehension, I'm not quite sure because god knows there's no good reason for it. One thing I do know is that if I don't want to end up feeling drained as before, I must learn to change my so-called "considerate" ways and find that balance between what I really want & what I think I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment