Thursday, June 11, 2009

Learning how to cook

So last night I tried cooking dinner for my boyfriend for the first time. The experience was interesting. I am someone who despises cookign and slaving over hot stoves; microwaves are my best friends at dinner time. However, I figured I needed to show my appreciation for his taking care of me while I was lying ill for the past week. After a friend suggested making him a home-cooked meal, I thought, why not. What could possible go wrong?

So, I downloaded a recipe to make clam linguini. The instructions didn't seem too difficult. So, I went to the market and bought all the ingredients and was ready to put on my chef's hat. Everything went smoothly at first until I had to make the sauce. The recipe calls for simmering the clams until all the juice has evaporated. The entire process took 3 hours!!! I must have missed a step somewhere. By the time I was done, it was already 10 p.m. and I personally had lost my appetite.

Being the sweet and considerate person he is, my boyfriend didn't complain at all and still ate the dish despite it not tasting very good at all, to be honest. So what did I learn? I learned that I am indeed culinarily-challenged and if I ever want to show appreication through food again, I will use the services of www.yelp.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment